8th ranked Stanislas Wawrinka's resilience overpowered three time defending champion Novak Djokovic at the Rod Laver Arena and advanced into a very well deserved semi final.
Having won the first set, Djokovic lost the next two. He regained the match by winning the fourth - but the fifth set was a set to watch. It seemed as if everyone's hot favourite would finally prevail upon Wawrinka - but that was not to be so. And finally Wawrinka won the long set at 9-7 and the match 2-6, 6-4, 6-2, 3-6, 9-7.
Stanislas Wawrinka Thus ended Novak Djokovic’s 28-match winning streak. This was Wawrinka's third win against world no.2 and also ended Djokovic’s streak of 14 Grand Slam semifinals.
Djokovic lost for the first time since the U.S. Open final. He entered Tuesday with a 28-match winning streak and 13 victories in a row against top-10 opponents.
After the match, Wawrinka said:
But wait!! Do not miss now to watch another interesting quarter-final on Wednesday when British Andy Murray clashes with 17 Grand Slam winner Roger Federer. Do not miss it out.
After the match, Wawrinka said:
"I was not feeling very good at the beginning," he confesses. "He is an amazing champion but I never give up. I am really, really, really, really, happy! I was tired at the end, for sure. I was cramping a bit and I was really nervous and I tried to relax a bit. Now I am going to go into the ice bath for a long, long time!"Wawrinka will face Tomas Berdych next, the first semifinal appearance here for both men. Berdych defeated David Ferrer earlier Tuesday.
But wait!! Do not miss now to watch another interesting quarter-final on Wednesday when British Andy Murray clashes with 17 Grand Slam winner Roger Federer. Do not miss it out.





0 comments:
Post a Comment